Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Cookie Blog Carnival: MGM cookies!


I'm sharing MGM cookies with you today. I got this recipe from my grandma and we used to make these every Christmas. We loved rolling them out, tasting the dough, spreading with frosting and decorating. We are not sure what MGM stands for except that it could mean movie star cookies (my grandma lived in CA). (This is actually a picture of some cookies my niece and nephew made last year).

Cookies:
2.5 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup butter
2 cups oats
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
Sift together flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Add brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Using dough beaters, cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add oats. Work dough with fingers until it just holds together.
Sprinkle powdered sugar on large cutting board. Place half of dough on cutting board. Roll to 1/4 in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Arrange on prepared sheets with a spatula. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake for 10-12 min and cool.

Frosting:
1 (16oz) package powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup butter softened
food coloring

Combine powdered sugar, salt, milk, vanilla and butter in a mixing bowl. Beat until smooth and creamy. Divide among 3-4 small bowls. Add food coloring. Frost cookies. Decorate as desired.  Add a healthy extra- non-fat powdered dry milk

Makes 2-4 dozen depending on the size of your cookie cutters. Enjoy!!


(2009) My friend Shelly, who invited me to this Cookie Blog Carnival, has a line up of some great prizes on her blog. So leave a comment here and then head on over to www.chiccraftychick.blogspot.com and let Shelly know you did so you can enter the giveaways. Thanks for stopping by!

PS. OK, here is a healthy extra for the cookie...
I used my Flour Blend (1 cup whole wheat, 1 cup white, 1 cup wheat germ) for the flour.

I guess I'm just a sneaky chef!

8 comments:

Misty said...

yummy cookies, thanks for the inspiration!

Tessy said...

I love oatmeal cookies. I think these would be fun to try instead of the regular roll out sugar cookies. I love that you cookie cut them out.

SnoWhite said...

what yummy cookies!

Jamie - The Itty Bitty Teacher said...

These look delicious. My son would love to help make these.

Shannon said...

What an interesting oatmeal cookie! I'm going to have to try this one out! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

wow those look awesome!

trooppetrie said...

you may never believe this. but i love making icing and yesturday DH said can u make it with butter instead of shortening. i could not find a recipe and i found your blog this morning. thanks so much

Unknown said...

These look great!! THanks!! I'm coming from Milk n' Honey who linked to this post!
We already follow you!
Tiffany